Recipe : Mexican Veggie Rice Bowl | A Veggie Treat
We’re going to start off the day with this extremely colorful and delicious Mexican Vegetable Rice Bowl. Anytime anyone asks me which my favorite cuisines are, Mexican cuisine is always there right at the top. This is mainly because I just love the fact that there are so many vegetarian options in Mexican cooking and the fact that there so many dishes, it leaves very little room for “cuisine boredom”. This Rice Bowl recipe is inspired by Mexican cooking, and the coming together of great ingredients packed into a very filling bowl.
The base of our rice bowl is brown rice mixed with black beans. A whole grain, brown rice has been shown to reduce the risk of certain types of cancers, heart disease, and diabetes. Thanks to its fiber content, brown rice has a lot more nutrients compared to white rice and helps keep us full for quite a long period of time. Bringing this together with black beans rich in protein, we have the perfect base to our bowl. If the serving seems a bit too much to you, this is a meal you can easily refrigerate and save the rest for the next day!
Main event time: Let’s get started on the recipe. In a small pot, boil 2 and 1/2 of water just right, add the rice, close the lid, and cook for 40-45 minutes over low-medium heat, or until the rice feels tender. Simultaneously, add 1/2 of the beans, chipotle sauce, and 1 tablespoon of water in a blender. Blend the mixture and combine it with the other 1/2 cup of beans and set it aside for now.
Now we get to the mushrooms. Heat the olive oil in a pan, and add onions and spices. Sauté for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, and then add the mushrooms. Cook for 3-5 minutes with the lid on, or until they turn golden brown. Set aside. Once the rice is done, add the black bean mixture into the rice and mix well with a spoon followed by adding salt to taste.
Now for the most entertaining part, assembling our bowl! Start by adding the black bean rice to your bowl, then the sautéd mushroom, followed by guacamole, the vegetables, and fresh cilantro for a finishing touch. As for the guacamole, you can whip it up following any of your other favorite recipes available. It’s all up to you from then on!
Leave a comment here and make sure you tag us on Instagram on your pictures of your very own rice bowl!
Here’s the Rice Bowl Recipe
MEXICAN VEGETABLE RICE BOWL
This recipe is inspired by Mexican cooking, and it’s basically a bunch of really great ingredients packed into a super filling bowl.
For the Rice
- 1 cup Brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup Black beans (cooked)
- 1 tbsp Chipotle sauce
- Salt (to taste)
For the Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 small Onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 cup Button Mushrooms (sliced)
For the Veg Toppings
- 2 small Radishes (sliced)
- 4 Cherry / Grape Tomatoes (sliced)
- 1/2 Jalapeño (de-seeded and sliced)
- 1/2 cup Corn
- 1/2 cup Guacamole
- Fresh Cilantro (for topping)
- In a small pot, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil, add the rice, apply the lid, and cook over low-medium heat for 40-45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- If the rice is not fully cooked, add a few tablespoons of water, as needed.
- While that’s happening, add 1/2 of the beans, chipotle sauce, and 1 tablespoon of water to a blender. Blend and combine with the other 1/2 cup of beans. Set aside
- Now let’s do our mushrooms. Heat the olive oil, and add the onions and spices. Sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, and then add the mushrooms. Cook with the lid on for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Once the rice is done, add the black bean mixture into the rice and mix well with a spoon. Add salt to taste.
- Now it’s time to assemble our bowl. Start by adding the black bean rice to your bowls, then add the mushroom sauté, then the vegetables, guacamole, and fresh cilantro for the finishing touch. Enjoy!